Manufactured sand (M-sand):
The Rajasthan government has brought a policy on manufactured sand (M-sand), giving industry status to the units producing it for construction work and reducing the dependence on bajri (riverbed sand).
Highlights of the new Policy:
- The policy will enable the investors to set up M-sand units by utilising the incentives offered by the State government.
- It will also help in environmental protection and generate faith among the public in the efficacy of M-sand for construction works.
- The policy would help create employment opportunities through new units and resolve the issue of huge quantities of waste generated in the mining areas.
- The Supreme Court had banned illegal mining on riverbeds in 2017.
What is M-Sand?
- M-sand is a substitute of river sand for concrete construction.
- Manufactured sand is produced from hard granite stone by crushing.
- The crushed sand is of cubical shape with grounded edges, washed and graded to as a construction material.
- The size of manufactured sand (M-Sand) is less than 4.75mm.
- It can be dust free, the sizes of m-sand can be controlled easily so that it meets the required grading for the given construction.
- It is well graded in the required proportion.
- It does not contain organic and soluble compounds that affect the setting time and properties of cement, thus the required strength of concrete can be maintained.
- It does not have the presence of impurities such as clay, dust and silt coatings.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking