Mauna Loa : The largest Active Volcano
Mauna Loa, the largest active volcano in the world, may erupt in the near future.
- Mauna Loa is one of five volcanoes that together make up the Big Island of Hawaii.
- It is the southernmost island in the Hawaiian archipelago.
- It’s not the tallest (that title goes to Mauna Kea) but it’s the largest and makes up about half of the island’s land mass.
- It sits immediately north of Kilauea volcano, which is currently erupting from its summit crater.
- Kilauea is well-known for a 2018 eruption that destroyed 700 homes and sent rivers of lava spreading across farms and into the ocean.
- Mauna Loa last erupted 38 years ago.