Meeting Of The National Sagarmala Apex Committee:
Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways will chair the meeting of the National Sagarmala Apex Committee (NSAC) on 6th May, 2022 at Vigyan Bhawan, in New Delhi.
- The National Sagarmala Apex Committee (NSAC) is the apex body providing policy directions and guidance for port led development-Sagarmala projects and reviews its implementation.
- The NSAC was constituted on 13.05.2015 by the Union Cabinet and is chaired by Minister for Ports, Shipping & Waterways with Cabinet Ministers from stakeholder central Ministries and Chief Ministers & Administrators of Maritime States and Union territories respectively as members.
- The committee shall review the Sagarmala program.
- Holistic development of coastal communities through a new initiative ‘Sagartat Samriddhi Yojana’ will also be taken up for discussion in the meeting.
- Sagarmala is a National Programme to accelerate economic development in the country by harnessing the potential of India’s 7,500 km long coastline and 14,500 km of potentially navigable waterways.
- It was announced by the Prime Minister in 2014 and approved by the Union Cabinet on 25th March 2015.
- It holds a vision to reduce logistics cost for both domestic and EXIM cargo with optimal infrastructure investment.
- The projects under the scheme have been categorized into five pillars:
- Port modernization & new port development,
- Port connectivity enhancement,
- Port-led industrialization,
- Coastal community development and
- Coastal shipping and Inland water transport