Mesechinus orientalis : New Species Of Hedgehog
Scientists recently identified a new species of hedgehog, Mesechinus orientalis, living in the scrubland and subtropical forests of eastern China.
- Mesechinus orientalis is a new species of Hedgehog.
- It is currently known from southern Anhui and northwestern Zhejiang, both in eastern China.
- It is currently the southeasternmost species of Mesechinus
- Mesechinus is a small genus of mammals in the hedgehog family.
- It can be found in scrubland and subtropical broad-leaf evergreen forests at elevations from 30 to 700 m.
- Hedgehogs are a distinctive group of spiney insectivorous mammals comprising the subfamily Erinaceinae of the Erinaceidae family.
- They are found across Eurasia and Africa but absent from Australia and the Americas.