Green Voyage2050 Project:
India has been selected as the pioneer lead country for the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Green Voyage2050 Project.
- Green Voyage2050 Project overall goal of the Project is to support effective implementation of the Initial IMO GHG Strategy.
- It provides support to developing countries in their efforts to reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions from ships.
- The Initial IMO Strategy sets out a clear vision and levels of ambition, one of which is to reduce the total annual GHG emissions by at least 50% by 2050 compared to 2008.
- It is envisaged that the project will strengthen MARPOL Annex VI compliance, facilitate sharing of operational best practices, catalyse the uptake of energy efficient technologies and explore opportunities for low- and zero-carbon fuels.
- The GreenVoyage2050 Project, currently in its first phase which is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Climate and Environment for an initial period up to December 2023