Multi-Modal Logistics Park (MMLP):
Agreement for swift development of modern Multi Modal Logistics Park (MMLP) under Bharatmala Pariyojna
- The tripartite agreement was signed by National Highways Logistics Management Limited (NHLML), Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) and Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL).
- To centralize freight consolidation (freight is goods transported in bulk by truck, train, ship, or aircraft)
- Reduce logistics costs from 14% to less than 10% of GDP (at par with International Standards)
- To ensure that cargo is swapped/shifted from and to Waterways, Dedicated Freight Corridors & Road Transport
- Ensure swift, efficient, economical and environmentally friendly logistics movement
- Empower and energise the economies of scale via PM Gati Shakti.
- MMLP will be a freight handling facility with rail and road accessibility, comprising of container terminals, custom clearances, cargo terminals (bulk, break-bulk), warehouses and other infrastructures.
- It is being developed under a ‘Hub & Spoke’ model,
- It will focus on a technology-driven implementation of a state-of-the-art freight management system.
- 35 locationshave been identified for the development of MultiModal Logistics Parks.
- India’s first MMLP is at Jogighopa in Assam.
Bharatmala Pariyojanais an umbrella program for the highways sector envisaged by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.