Museum Grant Scheme: Financial Assistance For Digitization
The union Minister of Culture informed Lok sabha about Museum Grant Scheme (MGS). Ministry of Culture provides financial assistance for digitization of museum collections under Digitization of Museum component of Museum Grant Scheme
- This scheme was launched in 2013.
- The Ministry of Culture provides financial assistance under the Scheme to the State Governments and Societies, Autonomous bodies, Local Bodies and Trusts registered under the Societies Act 1860, for setting up new Museums.
- Aim: To strengthen and modernize the existing museums at the Regional, State and District levels.
- The scheme also aims to develop at least 1 Central / State Government Museum located in the State Capital each year.
- Establishment and Development of District and Regional Museums:
- Under this component museums have been classified into two categories:
- Category-I: Government-owned State-level Museums and renowned Museums with an exquisite collection.
- Category II: all other Museums.