National Girl Child Day:
National Girl Child Day is celebrated in the country on January 24 every year with an objective to provide support and opportunities to the girls of India.
- It aims towards promoting awareness about the rights of the girl child and to increase awareness on the importance of girl education, and their health and nutrition and also to promote the girls position in the society to make their living better among the society.
- National Girl Child Day was first initiated in 2008 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
Government of India has taken several steps over the years to improve the conditions of girls, some of them are :
- Save the Girl Child,
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao,
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- CBSE Udaan Scheme
- Free or subsidized education for girl child,
- Reservation for women in colleges and universities
- National Scheme of Incentive to Girls for Secondary Education