National Non-Ferrous Metal Scrap Recycling Framework, 2020:
The Ministry of Mines has issued a National non-ferrous metal scrap recycling framework, 2020 in a bid to cut down the scrap imports. It also seeks to use a life cycle management approach for better efficiency in the mineral value chain process.
Objectives of the Recycling Framework:
- To work towards economic wealth creation, job creation, and increased contribution to GDP through metal recycling.
- To promote a formal and well-organized recycling ecosystem by adopting energy-efficient processes.
- To minimize the effect of end-of-life products on landfills and environmental pollution by promoting an environmentally sound recycling system.
- To evolve a responsive ecosystem by involving all stakeholders.
- The framework envisages the setting up a central Metal Recycling Authority to facilitate the recycling of metals.
- The government will work towards establishing standards for the Quality of scrap used for recycling.
- A mechanism for registration of segregation, dismantlers, recyclers, collection centers, etc. will be developed to promote recycling to an organized sector
- It is proposed to set up Urban Mines, envisaged as a location to collect and hold large quantities of similar materials.
- An Online market platform/ exchange platform for recycled/secondary metal will be developed.
- Recyclers may explore the possibility of entering into collection contracts with industrial and commercial establishments.