National Sports Day 2022:
The National Sports Day or Rashtriya Khel Divas is celebrated on 29th August every year in India as a tribute to hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand who was born on this date in 1905.
- The day was first designated and celebrated in 2012 as India’s National Sports Day.
- The nation celebrates the day honouring our sports stars.
- The president gives away sports awards such as the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award, and Dhyan Chand Awards on this occasion.
- The primary motto of National Sports Day is to promote awareness about the significance of sports and being physically active in day-to-day life.
- The Government of India organises various programs, events, seminars etc to raise awareness about the significance of National Sports Day.