National Telecommunications Institute for Policy Research, Innovation, and Training (NTIPRIT), the apex training institute of the Department of Telecommunications, Government of India conducted a webinar on April 28, 2021, on the topic “NavlC — Opportunities for the Telecom Industry” in collaboration with ISRO and Telecom Industry.
- NavIC (Navigation with Indian Constellation) is an autonomous regional satellite navigation system established and maintained by ISRO.
- It covers India and a region extending up to 1,500 km beyond the Indian mainland (primary coverage area).
- It provides position accuracy better than 20 m (20) and timing accuracy better than 50 ns (20).
- The actual measurements demonstrate accuracy better than 5 m and 20 ns respectively.
- NavIC based applications are being used in various civilian sectors, including, transport, map applications, and timekeeping.
- Some examples for NavlC enabled mobile phones include the Redmi Note 9 series from Xiaomi, the Realme 6 series, the OnePlus Nord, etc.
- NavlC is an indigenous positioning system that is under Indian control. There is no risk of the service being withdrawn or denied in a given situation.