The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) launched a rating and certification initiative called ‘Nest’.
- NEST initiative is to promote sustainable and eco-friendly construction in the domestic housing sector.
- It would pave the way for individual house owners and the residential sector to adopt green building features in a big way to help bring down electricity consumption and water usage and create a healthy living space.
Indian Green Building Council:
- It is part of the Confederation of Indian Industry(CII) and was formed in 2001.
- It is India’s Premier certification body.
- The council offers a wide array of services, which include developing new green building rating programmes, certification services,and green building training programmes.
- The council also organises the Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings.
- It is also among the five countries that are on the board of the World Green Building Council, discussing global issues at COP and similar global platforms.
- The rating is based on six environmental categories, which include sustainable station facility, health, hygiene and sanitation, energy efficiency, water efficiency, smart and green initiatives and innovation and development.