Pibot : Humanoid Robot
A team of engineers and researchers from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (KAIST) is currently developing a humanoid robot named ‘Pibot’ that can fly aircraft without needing to modify the cockpit.
- Pibot is the world’s first humanoid pilot.
- It can fly an aeroplane just like a human pilot by manipulating all the single controls in the cockpit, which is designed for humans.
- It combines artificial intelligence and robotics technologies, can process the natural language of the flight manual and control the flight’s operation in real-time.
- Pibot can control its arms and fingers to dextrously operate flight instruments, even with severe vibration in an aircraft, using high-precision control technology.
- Its external cameras allow Pibot to monitor the current state of the aircraft and the internal ones help it manage essential switches on the control panel.
- It is capable of memorizing global flight charts to conduct mistake-free flight missions on any air route.
- It can memorise aircraft operation and emergency manuals (QRH, an in-cockpit manual for the flight crew to refer to in case of in-flight problems) and respond immediately.
- The humanoid robot can also communicate with air traffic controllers and humans in the cockpit using voice synthesis, allowing it to act as a pilot or a first officer.