Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme For White Goods (Air Conditioners And LED Lights):
The Union Cabinet approved the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for White Goods (Air Conditioners and LED Lights) with a budgetary outlay of Rs. 6,238 crore.
- The PLI Scheme for White Goods shall extend an incentive of 4% to 6% on incremental sales of goods manufactured in India for a period of five years to companies engaged in manufacturing Air Conditioners and LED Lights.
- An entity availing benefits under any other PLI Scheme of Govt. India will not be eligible under this scheme for the same products but the entity may take benefits under other applicable schemes of Govt. of India or schemes of State governments.
- The Scheme will be implemented as a pan India scheme and is not specific to any location, area, or segment of the population. A number of global and domestic companies, including a number of MSMEs are likely to benefit from the Scheme.
- Benefits: It is estimated that over the period of five years, the PLI Scheme will lead to an incremental investment of Rs. 7,920 Crore, incremental Production worth Rs. 1,68,000 Crore, exports worth Rs 64,400 Crore, earn direct and indirect revenues of Rs 49,300 crore and create additional four lakh direct and indirect employment opportunities.
- A major appliance, also known as a large domestic appliance or large electric appliance is a non-portable or semi-portable machine used for routine housekeeping tasks such as cooking, washing laundry, or food preservation.
- Such appliances are sometimes collectively known as white goods, as the products were traditionally white in colour, although a variety of colours are now available.