Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana:
According to the Union Health Minister Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana has significantly reduced patients’ out-of-pocket expenditure.
- Jan Aushadhi Scheme was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals in 2008 across the country.
- In 2015, the Jan Aushadhi Scheme was revamped as Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana (PMJAY).
- In 2016, it was again renamed as Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
- To make available quality medicines, consumables and surgical items at affordable prices for all and reduce out of pocket expenditure of consumers/patients.
- To popularize generic medicines among the masses and eliminate the notion that low priced generic medicines are of inferior quality or are less effective.
- Generate employment by engaging individual entrepreneurs in the opening of JanaushadhiKendras.
- Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) is the implementing agency of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
- PMBI was established in December, 2008 under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India.