Project To Link Five Rivers:
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has proposed a project to link five rivers in India in her budget speech.
The rivers identified for linking are:
- Godavari-Krishna, Krishna-Pennar and Pennar-Cauvery, Damanganga-Pinjal and Par-Tapi-Narmada.
- Krishna, the fourth largest river in India, originates in Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra and flows through Maharashtra, Karnataka, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Cauvery originates in Kodagu and flows through Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- Penna originates in Chikkaballapura and flows through Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- Godavari which is the third largest river in India originates in Nashik and flows through Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Orissa.
- The Damanganga-Pinjal river linking aims to divert surplus water from the Damanganga basin to provide domestic water for Mumbai city.
- The Par-Tapi-Narmada project proposes to provide water to doubt-prone regions of Kutch and Saurashtra by diverting excess water from seven reservoirs in the Western Ghats in North Maharashtra and south Gujarat.