Relief Measures For Taxpayers Under GST:
In view of the corona pandemic, the government has announced various relief measures for taxpayers under GST law including a reduction in the interest rate and waiving of late fees. The Finance Ministry has issued a notification in this regard.
- A lower rate of interest of 9 percent for the first 15 days from the due date of payment of tax and 18 percent thereafter, for the tax payable for the tax period of March and April 2021 has been notified for registered persons having an aggregate turnover of over 5 crore rupees.
- In case of aggregate turnover up to 5 crore rupees, nil rate of interest for the first 15 days from the due date of payment of tax, 9 percent for the next 15 days, and 18 percent thereafter, for both normal taxpayers and those under Quarterly Return, Monthly Payment of Taxes (QRMP) Scheme for March and April 2021 has been notified.
- For registered persons having aggregate turnover above 5 crore rupees, the late fee has been waived for 15 days with regard to returns in FORM GSTR-3B furnished beyond the due date for tax periods of these two months.
- In case of turnover up to 5 crore rupees, the late fee has been waived for 30 days for GSTR-3B returns furnished beyond the due date.
- Besides, the Finance Ministry has extended the due date of filing FORM GSTR-1 and Invoice Furnishing Facility- IFF for the month of April due in May has been extended by 15 days.