U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration has announced that it is restoring relations with the Palestinians:
U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration has announced that it is restoring relations with the Palestinians:and renewing aid to Palestinian refugees.
- This is a reversal of the Donald Trump administration’s cutoff and a key element of its new support for a two-state solution to the decades-old conflict agreed to by Israelis and Palestinians.
- The Israeli-Palestinian conflict dates back to the end of the nineteenth century, primarily as a conflict over territory.
- After the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, the Holy Land was divided into three parts: The State of Israel, the West Bank (of the Jordan River), and the Gaza Strip.
- The 1993 Oslo Accords mediated the conflict, to set up a framework for the two-state solution.
- It recognized the Palestinian Authority tasked with limited self-governance of parts of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking