Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS):
RDSS is a reform-based and result-linked scheme to improve the financial sustainability and operational efficiencies of DISCOMs.
- This is done by financial assistance for the modernization of distribution infrastructure e.g., Smart Prepaid Meters. This is aimed to:
- Reduce AT&C loss by 12-15%
- Reduce financial deficit (average cost of supply-average revenue realised) of DISCOMs to Zero.
- Compulsory installation of smart meters (target of installing 250 million smart meters by 2025)
- Time: 2021-22 to 2025-26
- Nodal Agency: Under Ministry of Power (Rural electrification cooperation and Power finance corporation)
- Eligibility: All state-owned DISCOMs
- Other programs to be taken under it are: Part A (Prepaid Smart Meter, solarization of agriculture feeders, segregation of feeders, use of AI etc.) and Part B (Training and Capacity Building)
- Umbrella programme: It merges other existing power sector reforms schemes – Integrated Power Development Scheme, DDU Gram Jyoti Yojana, and Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (SAUBHAGYA)