SCO Summit 2022:
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit 2022 was held recently in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
- Samarkand declaration was signed by the member states.
- India takes over Presidency of the SCO for 2023.
- The Samarkand declaration advocated “commitment to peaceful settlement of differences and disputes between countries through dialogue and consultation”.
- They stress that the principles of mutual respect for sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity of States, equality, mutual benefit, non- interference in internal affairs, and non-use or threat of use of force are the basis for sustainable development of international relations.
- The member countries are planning to develop common principles and approaches to form a unified list of terrorists, separatist and extremist organizations whose activities are prohibited on the territories of the SCO member states.
- Russia is also looking at more customers for its gas as Western countries look to cut their dependence on it.
- Russia suggested that the organisation should think about holding its own big athletic event.
- India urged Shanghai Cooperation Organisation member states to give each other full right to transit, as it would enhance connectivity and help in establishing reliable and resilient supply chains in the region.
- As the whole world is facing an unprecedented energy and food crisis, India emphasised the initiative to promote millet and address issues related to food security.
- World Health Organisation (WHO) opened its Global Center for Traditional Medicines in Gujarat in April 2022.
- This was the first and only worldwide centre for conventional medicine established by the WHO.
- Varanasi was declared as the SCO Tourism and Cultural Capital for 2022-2023 to promote the rich cultural and historical heritage of the people and the tourism potential of SCO member states.
- Further, it will promote tourism, cultural and humanitarian exchanges between India and the SCO member Countries.
- It also underlines India’s ancient civilizational links with the Member States of SCO, especially the Central Asian Republics.
- Under the framework of this major cultural outreach program, a number of events will be hosted in Varanasi during 2022-23.