Second-Largest Road Network In The World : India
India now has the second-largest road network in the world, after the US.
- In 2013-14, the total length of National Highways was 91,287 km, which has increased to 1,45,240 km in 2022-23.
- India has a total length of 4,219 km of expressways.
- The total length of National Highways in India has increased by about 59% in the last nine years.
- FASTag has led to a significant jump in toll collection revenue: Toll revenue rose from Rs 4,770 crore in 2013-14 to Rs 41,342 crore in 2022-23 (the aim is to increase toll revenue to Rs 1,30,000 crore by 2030)
- The waiting time at toll plazas has reduced from 734 seconds in 2014 to 47 seconds in 2023, with a goal of further reducing it to 30 seconds.