Setu Bandhan Scheme: CRIF
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has disclosed the approval of seven crucial bridge projects in Arunachal Pradesh under the Setu Bandhan Scheme under Central Road and Infrastructure Fund (CRIF).
- These projects, with a combined cost of Rs 118.50 Crores, are slated for implementation during the fiscal year 2023-24.
- The Central Road and Infrastructure Fund (earlier known as Central Road Fund) was established in 2000 under Central Road Fund Act, 2000.
- The fund comprises a cess imposed along with excise duty on petrol and diesel.
- The administrative control of the CRIF falls under the Ministry of Finance.
- Earlier it was under the domain of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The amendment renamed the Central Road Fund as Central Road and Infrastructure Fund (CRIF).
- It allowed using the proceeds of the road cess under CRIF to finance other infrastructure projects including waterways, some portion of the railway infrastructure and even social infrastructure including educational institutions, medical colleges etc.
Setu Bandhan Scheme:
- The “Setu Bandhan Scheme” is a program initiated by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, aimed at facilitating the construction of Rail Over Bridges (ROBs), Rail Under Bridges (RUBs), and Bridges on State Roads.
- This program is designed to enhance road safety by replacing existing level crossings with bridges, ultimately reducing accidents at these locations.