Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2022:
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) announced the list of awardees for the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar (SSB) awards for 2022.
- Twelve male scientists were awarded India’s top Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (SSB) for Science and Technology in 2022. The awards were announced at the inaugural session of the CSIR-NIScPR’s One Week One Lab Programme.
- However, no female scientists have been chosen for this year
- The awards were last announced in 2021
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award:
- It is named after the founder Director of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) India, the late Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar.
- The Prize is given each year for outstanding contributions to science and technology.
- It carries a prize amount of Rs 5,00,000 .
- It is given for notable and outstanding research, applied or fundamental in the following disciplines: (i) Biological Sciences, (ii) Chemical Sciences, (iii) Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences, (iv) Engineering Sciences, (v) Mathematical Sciences, (vi) Medical Sciences and (vii) Physical Sciences.
- Any citizen of India engaged in research in any field of science and technology up to the age of 45 years as reckoned on 31st December of the year preceding the year of the Prize.
- Overseas citizens of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) working in India are also eligible.
- The Prize is awarded on the basis of contributions made through work done primarily in India during the five years preceding the year of the Prize.