Soliga ecarinata: New Wasp Named After Soliga Community
The scientific community has named a new genus of wasp after the Soliga community.
- The Soliga ecarinata is a new wasp that belongs to the subfamily Metopiinae of the Darwin wasps family Ichneumonidae.
- These are seen only in the Palaearctic region, Neotropical and Nearctic regions.
- This is the second genus of this subfamily reported from India and the first from South India.
- Scientists have named this wasp after the Soliga community.
- Soligas are an indigenous tribe of Karnataka, inhabiting the peripheral forest areas near Biligiri Rangana Hills and Male Mahadeshwara in the Chamarajnagar district of Karnataka.
- The Soligas were dependent on hunting and shifting agriculture traditionally.
- They are the first tribal community living inside the core area of a tiger reserve in India to get their forest rights officially recognised by a court of law.