Swachh Survekshan Awards, 2021:
Indore was ranked the cleanest city for the fifth consecutive year by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in its annual cleanliness ranking.
- The Swachh Survekshan Awards, 2021 handed out by President Ram Nath Kovind included the cleanest State honour for Chhattisgarh for the third time, in the category of States with more than 100 urban local bodies.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s constituency, Varanasi, won the award for the cleanest “Ganga city”.
- Among cities, Surat and Vijayawada secured the second and third place, respectively.
- The Ministry said the survey was carried out in 4,320 cities over 28 days, where feedback from 4.2 crore persons was recorded.
- Of States with over 100 urban local bodies (ULBs), Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh were ranked second and third respectively.
- Jharkhand was judged the cleanest State with less than 100 ULBs, followed by Haryana and Goa.
- Among cities with population over 1 lakh, Indore, Surat, Vijayawada, Navi Mumbai, New Delhi, Ambikapur, Tirupati, Pune, Noida and Ujjain were the top 10, in that order.
- Of cities with population less than 1 lakh, Maharashtra’s Vita was the cleanest, followed by Lonavala and Sasvad.
- The New Delhi Municipal Council’s area was ranked the cleanest in the category of cities with 1-3 lakh population.
- Noida was named the cleanest among medium-sized cities, that is with 3 lakh to 10 lakh population. Among the big cities with population of 10 lakh to 40 lakh, Navi Mumbai was ranked the cleanest.