Commission For Air Quality Management Or CAQM:
Nearly five months after its setup, the central government’s “Commission for Air Quality Management” or CAQM in National Capital Region and its Adjoining Areas has been shut down due to lapsing of the ordinance.
- The Centre dissolved it after five months as the ordinance lapsed after failing to become an act
The erstwhile Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority or EPCA had been dissolved to make way for the Commission.
About the Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM):
- The Commission for Air Quality Management was formed by an ordinance in October 2020, the “Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance 2020”.
- Chairperson: To be chaired by a government official of the rank of Secretary or Chief Secretary.
- The Commission will be a statutory authority.
- The Commission will supersede bodies such as the central and state pollution control boards of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, UP, and Rajasthan.
- It will have the power to issue directions to these state governments on issues pertaining to air pollution.