Panel For Studying The Mythical Sarasvati River:
The Centre has reconstituted an advisory committee to chalk out a plan for studying the mythical Sarasvati river for the next two years after the earlier panel’s term ended in 2019.
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) on March 10 issued a notification for “reconstitution of the Advisory Committee for the Multidisciplinary Study of the River Sarasvati”.
- The ASI had first set up the committee on December 28, 2017, for a period of two years.
- The committee would continue to be chaired by the Culture Minister.
- It would include officials from the Culture, Tourism, Water Resources, Environment and Forest, Housing and Urban Affairs Ministries; representatives of the Indian Space Research Organisation; officials from the governments of Gujarat, Haryana, and Rajasthan; and an ASI official.
- The committee would review the work done by the previous panel and then formulate a plan.
- The committee would advise the Government Departments conducting research.