What Is Medical And Wellness Tourism?
The Ministry of Tourism has formulated a National Strategy and Roadmap for Medical and Wellness Tourism.
- The policy envisages promoting India as a Medical Value Travel (MVT) and Wellness destination.
- Medical & Wellness tourism may be defined as ‘activities related to travel and hosting a foreign tourist who stays at least one night at the destination region for the purpose of maintaining, improving or restoring health through medical intervention’ .
- Mission is to create a robust framework and synergy amongst the Ministries of Central Government and State Governments and Private Sector for promoting India as a Medical Value Travel (MVT) and Wellness destination.
- For this, a new National Medical and Wellness Tourism Board will be created as Minister of Tourism as its Chairman.
- It will provide a dedicated institutional framework to take forward the cause of promotion of Wellness & Medical Tourism.
- The Ministry of Tourism, releases global print, electronic and online media campaigns in important and potential markets overseas, under the ‘Incredible India’ brand line.
- ‘Medical Visa’ has been introduced, which can be given for specific purposes to foreign travellers coming to India for medical treatment.
- ‘E- Medical Visa’ and ‘E-Medical Attendant Visa’ have also been introduced for 156 countries.
- The Ministry of Tourism provides financial Assistance under Market Development Assistance Scheme to Medical Tourism Service Providers accredited by National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH) for participation in Medical/ Tourism activities.