One Nation One Standard Mission:
Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Piyush Goyal has stressed on the need for ‘One Nation One Standard’ to bring uniformity and said labs testing in India should be of global standards. The minister said this while reviewing the work of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
What is One Nation One Standard Mission?
- The ‘One Nation One Standard’ Mission was first deliberated in September, 2019.
- The mission was envisioned on the line of ‘one nation, one ration card’ scheme in order to ensure quality products in the country.
- The purpose is to converge multiple standards with the BIS which is a recognised national body for standardisation in India.
Need for One Nation One Standard Mission?
- Bringing a national uniformity and standardization in all kinds of public procurement and tendering can be an immediate deliverable.
- The uniform national standards will help in making it mandatory for more products.
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS):
- BIS is the only national body that frames standards.
- It works under the aegis of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India.
- BIS is responsible for the harmonious development of the activities of standardisation, marking and quality certification of goods etc..
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking