World Water Day:
“Valuing Water’ is the theme for 2021’s World Water Day.
- World Water Day is an annual UN observance day (22 March) that highlights the importance of freshwater.
- The day is used to advocate for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
- The theme of each day focuses on topics relevant to clean water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), which is in line with the targets of Sustainable Development Goal 6.
- The UN World Water Development Report (WWDR) is released each year around World Water Day.
- UN-Water is the convener for World Water Day.
- The idea for a World Water Day was put forward in 1992, at the Rio de Janeiro United Nations Conference on Environment and Development.