Asia Environmental Enforcement Award-2020 :
The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) has received the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award-2020 awarded by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- WCCB got the award twice in three years. Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) has been awarded this year under the Innovation category.
- Earlier, the Bureau had received the award in 2018 under the same category.
Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB):
- Status: A statutory body constituted under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- Parent Agency: Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- Mandate: To combat organized wildlife crime in the country.
- Location: The Bureau has its headquarter in New Delhi and five regional offices in Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, and Jabalpur.
- WCCB has developed an online Wildlife Crime Database Management System to get real-time data to analyze trends in wildlife crimes across India.
- This system has been successfully used for carrying out operations such as Operation Save Kurma, Thunderbird, Wildnet, Lesknow, Birbil, Thunderstorm, Lesknow-II, etc resulting in huge seizures of Tiger/Leopard Skin/bones, Rhino Horn, Elephant Ivory etc.