Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot System For NRIs:
The Chief Election Commissioner emphasised the need to facilitate postal voting for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs).
- It highlights the Election Commission’s proposal for Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballots(ETPBs) for NRIs, which is currently awaiting government approval.
- The initiative aims to allow over 1.34 crore overseas Indians to participate in elections using a technology-driven methodology.
- The ETPBS is a system designed to facilitate remote voting for individuals who are unable to cast their votes in person at a polling station.
- ETPBS combines the use of electronic transmission and postal services to enable voters to receive and return their ballots electronically.
- Under this system, postal ballots are sent electronically to registered service voters.
- The service voter can then download the ETPB (along with a declaration form and covers), register their mandate on the ballot and send it to the returning officer of the constituency via ordinary mail.
- The post will include an attested declaration form (after being signed by the voter in the presence of an appointed senior officer who will attest it).
- The Conduct of Election Rules, 1961 was amended in 2016 to allow service voters to use the ETPBS.