FINDER Device : NASA
NASA has developed a technology that can remotely detect the tiniest motions of the body that will be used by disaster relief teams in earthquake-stricken Turkey.
- The devices, called FINDERs( Finding Individuals for Disaster Emergency Response), use microwave radar sensors to find survivors underneath the rubble.
- It was designed to detect a human heartbeat buried beneath 30 feet of rubble.
- The radar illuminates the rubble pile and receives reflections back from a disaster site, including the victim.
- FINDER looks for changes in the reflection that indicate movement and then checks to see if those movements can be attributed to human heartbeats and respirations.
- It can distinguish human respiration from animals or mechanical movements.