INFUSE Mission : NASA
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) launched a sounding rocket as part of its INFUSE mission.
- The Integral Field Ultraviolet Spectroscope Experiment (INFUSE) was launched from the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.
- It was launched to study the Cygnus Loop, a supernova remnant.
- The INFUSE mission is expected to collect information about the remnant for a few minutes from a height of 150 miles (240 km).
- Specifically, the instrument will gather light streaming from the Cygnus Loop in far-ultraviolet wavelengths.
- It will observe how the supernova dumps energy into the Milky Way by catching light given off just as the blast wave crashes into pockets of cold gas floating around the galaxy.
- It will study the Cygnus Loop and try to understand the life cycle of stars.