Scientists looking for fossil fuels beneath the ground in northeastern France have discovered a large reservoir of white hydrogen.
- White Hydrogen is also referred to as “natural,” “gold” or “geologic” hydrogen.
- It is naturally produced in the Earth’s crust and is considered a potential source of clean energy.
- It generally exists combined with other molecules.
- White hydrogen has several advantages over other types of hydrogen
- It causes no CO2 emissions when used as a fuel.
- It is compatible with existing infrastructure and technologies for hydrogen production and utilisation.
- It is cheaper and more efficient than steam reforming or electrolysis.
- It is abundant and renewable.
- Its deposits have been found across the world, including in the US, Eastern Europe, Russia, Australia, France, and other countries.
- It is estimated that globally, there could be tens of billions of tonnes of white hydrogen.