International Gandhi Award For Leprosy, 2021:
M. Venkaiah Naidu, the Vice President on 13th April 2022 has conferred the International Gandhi Award for Leprosy, 2021 to Sahyog Kushtha Yagna Trust, Gujarat, and Dr. Bhushan Kumar of Chandigarh in New Delhi.
- It is an annual award that is instituted by the Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation.
- The Vice President also urged the people of the country and the various organizations to join the eradicating leprosy campaign.
- There should be social mobilization to support the eradication of this disease.
- The Gram Sabhas were also urged to help in the fight against leprosy.
- The country’s fight against leprosy was also highlighted as India’s leprosy count decreased to less than one case per ten thousand population.
- Award given: Sahyog Kushtha Yagna Trust and Dr. Bhushan Kumar have been working round the clock to raise awareness regarding leprosy and the care that can be provided to those afflicted with this disease. They have also been working to remove the social stigmas that are associated with this disease.
- Leprosy or Hansen’s disease is a chronic granulomatous disease that is caused due to the bacteria named Mycobacterium Leprae.
- This disease mostly affects the nerves, skin, respiratory system, and eyes