MISHTI Scheme For Mangrove Plantations:
Mangrove Initiative for Shoreline Habitats & Tangible Incomes’, MISHTI, will be taken up for mangrove plantation along the coastline and on salt pan lands
The Mangroves cover 0.15% of the total Indian Geographical area.
- This is around 4,975 square kilometers.
- The state of West Bengal alone has 42.45% of India’s mangroves. Indian mangroves are facing limitations such as an increase in salinity, lack of oxygen, and diurnal tidal inundations.
- The main aim of the scheme is to take up mangrove plantations along the coastline and to preserve Mangrove forests
- Meaning, mangrove saplings will be planted along the coastal regions of the country.
- Mangrove forests are spread across AP, WB, Odisha, Andaman and Nicobar, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu.
- Mangrove forests are present in all the coastal states of India.
- MISHTI is to be implemented by converging CAMPA Fund, MGNREGS, and other sources.
- CAMPA Fund means Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority.