National Medical Device Policy 2023:
The Union Cabinet has approved the National Medical Devices (NMD) Policy, 2023.
- Policy lays down a roadmap for accelerated growth of the medical devices sector to achieve the following missions viz, Access & Universality, Affordability, Quality, Patient Centred & Quality Care, Preventive & Promotive Health, Security, Research and Innovation and Skilled manpower.
NMD Policy 2023:
- “Single Window Clearance System” for licensing medical devices will be created.
- This system will involve all relevant departments and organizations, such as MeitY (Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology), and DAHD (Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying).
- Large medical device parks with world-class infrastructure facilities will be established, near economic zones.
- It will be done as envisioned under the National Industrial Corridor Program and the proposed National Logistics Policy 2021 under the ambit of PM Gati Shakti, and in collaboration with state governments and the industry, to improve convergence and integration with the medical device industry.
- The policy aims to promote Research & Development in India, complementing the proposed National Policy on R&D and Innovation in the Pharma-MedTech sector.
- It also aims at establishing Centres of Excellence in academic and research institutions, innovation hubs, ‘plug and play’ infrastructures and support to start-ups.
- The policy encourages private investment and Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) to complement existing schemes such as Make in India, Ayushman Bharat program, Heal-in-India, and Start-up mission.
- The policy aims to ensure a skilled workforce in the medical device sector by providing skilling, reskilling and upskilling programs through the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- It will also support dedicated courses for medical devices in existing institutions to produce skilled manpower for futuristic technologies, manufacturing and research.
- The policy envisages the creation of a dedicated Export Promotion Council for the sector which will be an enabler to deal with various market access issues.