International Labour Day 2023:
International Labour Day, popularly known as International Workers’ Day or May Day is observed on May 01 every year.
- International Labour Day is celebrated every year on 1 May to commemorate the struggles and sacrifices of the workers’ and labours’ movement.
- It is also known as May Day.
- It is celebrated in more than 80 countries, including India, Cuba, and China
- People in different parts of the world hold marches on this day to promote the rights of working-class people and to protect them from exploitation.
- The tradition of Labour Day dates back to 19th century America.
- On May 1st, 1886, workers in Chicago organized a strike to demand an eight-hour workday.
- However, workers across the US came together to demand their rights and to fight for better working conditions after a bomb exploded at a labour rally in Haymarket Square in Chicago, USA.
- In 1889, the International congress of socialist parties met in Paris and decided to celebrate Labour Day or Worker’s Day on May 1.
- The first labour day was celebrated in India on May 1, 1923, in Chennai.