Nevado del Ruiz Volcano : Increase Seismic Activity
People living on the upper slopes of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia are being evacuated after an increase in seismic activity.
- Nevado del Ruiz is an ice-clad stratovolcano located in the Andes Mountains of Colombia, South America.
- It is a stratovolcano composed of many layers of lava alternating with hardened volcanic ash and other pyroclastic rocks.
- Volcanic activity at Nevado del Ruiz began about two million years ago
- It is part of the former Ruiz-Tolima volcanic complex as well as the dangerous Pacific Ring of fire.
- The volcano has erupted several times in the past, with the most catastrophic eruption occurring on November 13,
- Since the 1985 eruption, has remained active, with several smaller eruptions occurring in the years following the disaster.