The Government of India has launched a ‘multi-pronged’ initiative named ‘Operation Ganga’.
- A dedicated Twitter handle ‘OpGanga Helpline’ to assist Indian evacuation from Ukraine has also been announced.
- The tensions between Russia and Ukraine are currently heightened, with war erupting in Ukraine after the Russian military launched a series of attacks recently.
- Operation Ganga is an evacuation mission to bring back all the Indian nationals who are currently stranded in Ukraine.
- There were around 20,000 Indians including students stuck in Ukraine.
- Till now, three Air India flights have been able to bring back more than 900 Indians from Ukraine to India.
- The Indian evacuation flights are operating from neighbouring countries like Romania and Hungary.
- The government is also facilitating evacuation of stranded Indians from its borders crossing Romania, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.