Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBKs): Increased
Union Health Minister recently said that the number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBKs) has increased to 9,082 as on January 31, 2023.
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBKs) are set up under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana, which was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers in November 2008.
- Objective: To provide quality medicines at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor, so as to reduce out-of-pocket expenses in healthcare.
- PMBKs provides generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- All therapeutic medicines are made available from Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- Jan Aushadhi stores also sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops so as to improve the viability of running the Jan Aushadhi store.
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for co-coordinating procurement, supply, and marketing of generic drugs through the PMBKs.
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for the new Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.