The merger of the Lok Sabha TV (LSTV) and the Rajya Sabha TV (RSTV):
After nearly two years of work, the merger of the Lok Sabha TV (LSTV) and the Rajya Sabha TV (RSTV) has been finalised and will be replaced by Sansad TV.
- Retired IAS officer Ravi Capoor was appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Sansad TV.
- Mr. Capoor’s mandate is also to work out the nitty-gritty of the merger, including the integration of the assets and manpower.
- In November 2019, a committee headed by former Prasar Bharati Chairman Surya Prakash was set up.
- It submitted a report in February 2020.
- The Surya Prakash panel held a meeting with Members of Parliament from different political parties and they strongly recommended the continuation of the live telecast.
- Under the banner of Sansad TV, the LSTV would continue to telecast live the House proceedings and the RSTV that of the Upper House.
- During the inter-session period and beyond the working hours of Parliament, both will telecast common content to a large extent.
- The LSTV platform would telecast programmes in Hindi, while RSTV would do so in English.