Exercise Shantir Ogroshena:
Multinational military exercise Shantir Ogroshena, which went for 10 days in Bangladesh, concluded on 12th April 2021.
- The year 2021 marks the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between India and Bangladesh.
- The exercise was organised to commemorate the birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh’s Father of the Nation and celebrate the golden jubilee of the liberation of Bangladesh.
- It was held at Bangabandhu Senanibas (BBS), Bangladesh.
- Shantir Ogroshena’ 2021 means “Front Runner of the Peace”.
- The theme of this exercise was to strengthen defence ties and enhance interoperability amongst neighbourhood countries to ensure effective peacekeeping operations.
- It was a UN (United Nations)- mandated counterterrorism exercise.
Countries that Participated:
- Troops from India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka participated in the exercise with observers from the USA, UK, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore.