Aerial Passenger Ropeway System Between Dehradun And Mussoorie:
The Union Cabinet gave its approval to the transfer of land of Indo-Tibetan Border Police, ITBP to the Government of Uttarakhand for the development of Aerial Passenger Ropeway System between Dehradun and Mussoorie.
- The proposed Ropeway is a mono-cable ropeway of 5580 meters length between Purkul Gaon, Dehradun and Library, Mussoorie being constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 285 crore.
- It will have a carrying capacity of 1,000 persons per hour per direction. This will considerably reduce the traffic flow on the road route from Dehradun to Mussoorie.
- Besides, this will generate direct employment of 350 and indirect employment of more than 1,500 people. Once completed, the ropeway will be a huge attraction for tourists which in turn will provide a boost to the tourism industry in the state and create additional employment opportunities in the tourism sector.
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP):
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) is India’s primary border patrol organization with its border with China’s Tibet Autonomous Region. It was raised in 1962 in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962.
- The “Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force Act, 1992″ provides for the constitution and regulation” of the ITBP “for ensuring the security of the borders of India and for matters connected therewith”.