Two Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drug Banned:
The Drugs Technical Advisory Board (DTAB) recommended banning the manufacture, sale and distribution of two non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) Ketoprofen and Aceclofenac.
- Drugs Technical Advisory Board is the highest statutory decision-making body on technical matters related to drugs in India.
- It is established as per the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940.
- It is part of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO).
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It advises the Central Government and the State Governments on technical matters arising out of the administration of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, of 1940 and to carry out the other functions assigned to it by this Act.
- Non-steroid Anti-inflammatory Drugs are medicines that are widely used to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and bring down a high temperature.
- These drugs block the production of certain body chemicals that cause inflammation.
- The most popular examples of drugs in this group are aspirin and ibuprofen.