Upper Bhadra Project: Union Budget 2023
Finance Minister recently announced a grant of ₹5300 crore for the Upper Bhadra Irrigation Project.
- It is a major lift irrigation Scheme under implementation in the central region of Karnataka State.
- To provide sustainable irrigation facility in khariff season.
- It also proposes to recharge ground water tables and provide drinking water by filling 367 tanks with six tmcft water in drought-prone taluks.
- It is planned to irrigate an extent of 2,25,515 hectares by micro irrigation in drought-prone districts of Chikkamagalur, Chitradurga, Tumkur and Davangere.
- It envisages lifting upto17.40 TMC of water in first stage from Tunga river to existing Bhadra reservoir and lifting 29.90 TMC of water in second stage from Bhadra reservoir to Tunnel near Ajjampura, in Tungabhadra sub-basin of Krishna basin.
- In 2022, Central government gave national project statusto “Upper Bhadra Project”.
- It is a sacred river in southern India that flows through the states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telengana.
- The ancient name of the river was Pampa.
- It is formed by the confluence of two rivers, the Tunga River and the Bhadra
- Both Tunga & Bhadra Rivers are originated on the eastern slops of the Western Ghats.