Very Dense Fog In Few State : IMD
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) issued a warning about a strong probability of “very dense fog” in Haryana, Chandigarh, and Delhi.
- IMD has also accompanied alerts with maps from the INSAT 3D satellite, and sometimes from the INSAT 3DR satellite.
- The IMD uses INSAT -3D and INSAT-3DR satellite data for weather forecasting/monitoring purposes.
- INSAT-3DR, similar to INSAT-3D, is an advanced meteorological satellite of India configured with an imaging System and an Atmospheric Sounder.
- An atmospheric sounder measures how the physical properties of a column of air vary with altitude.
- It has several infrared channels from longwave to shortwave bands and one visible band.
- The significant improvements incorporated in INSAT-3DR are:
- Imaging in the Middle Infrared band to provide nighttime pictures of low clouds and fog.
- Imaging in two Thermal Infrared bands for estimation of Sea Surface Temperature (SST) with better accuracy.