Voluntary Guidelines On Food Systems And Nutrition (VGFSyN):
The Committee on World Food Security (CFS) has endorsed the first-ever Voluntary Guidelines on Food Systems and Nutrition (VGFSyN) which aims to support countries to eradicate hunger and malnutrition in all its forms by utilizing a food systems approach.
- The endorsement took place during the CFS 47th Session.
About the Guidelines:
- Food Systems Approach:
- The Guidelines highlight the complex and multidimensional interlinkages between sustainable food systems and healthy diets.
- Food systems are a complex web of activities involving production, processing, handling, preparation, storage, distribution, marketing, access, purchase, consumption, food loss, and waste, as well as the outputs of these activities, including social, economic, and environmental outcomes.
- Seven Policy Areas:
- Transparent, democratic, and accountable governance.
- Sustainable food supply chains to achieve healthy diets and in the context of climate change.
- Equal and equitable access to healthy diets.
- Food safety.
- People-centered nutrition knowledge, education, and information.
- Gender equality and women’s empowerment across food systems.
- Resilient food systems in humanitarian contexts.