Prime Minister Inaugurated The New Integrated Terminal Building Of Maharaja Bir Bikram (MBB) Airport:
The Prime Minister inaugurated the New Integrated Terminal Building of Maharaja Bir Bikram (MBB) Airport and launched key initiatives like Mukhyamantri Tripura Gram Samridhi Yojana and Project Mission 100 of Vidyajyoti Schools.
- The inauguration of the new terminal is seen as a first step to make the airport operational as an international airport owing to the State’s proximity to Bangladesh and accessibility to southeast Asian countries.
- Local tribal stone sculptures of the Unakoti Hills and local bamboo handicrafts have been extensively used in the interiors.
- The Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport was originally built by the US Air Force during the Second World War (1939-45) in collaboration with King Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya Debbarman of the erstwhile princely State.
- It was formerly known as the Agartala Airport and was renamed in 2018.
Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarman:
- Maharaja Colonel Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya Debbarman Bahadur (1908–1947) of the Manikya dynasty is widely regarded as Tripura’s pioneer King.
- He succeeded his father, Birendra Kishore Manikya Debbarman in August 1923. He was succeeded by his own son, Maharaja Kirit Bikram Kishore, who was king for two years till the state’s accession to India in 1949, but who did not rule, as he was a minor.
- He was the king of Tripura State till 1947.
- He played an important role in the development of Tripura. He is known as Father of modern architecture in Tripura: During his rule the entire planning of present-day Tripura was initiated.
- He was a pioneer in land reforms. In 1939, he reserved land for the local Tripura tribals.
- Later, this step was instrumental in the creation of the Tripura autonomous district council.
- He built the first airport in Tripura (Agartala airport).